You are not logged in

LoginRegister

FinePix HS20EXR

FinePix HS20EXRMembers and their FinePix HS20EXRView now

Photo Features

Get involved!

HS 20 EXR camera is freezing shots ?

Can anyone help ? or have been experiencing the same problem. I have an HS 20 EXR since June 2011 and it has developed a nasty habit of 'freezing' shots in the viewfinder or LCD screen after i have taken the shot. Any ideas ? The only way of clearing the image is to turn off the camera and open and close the battery cover. this then works for a while and then repeats itself. Sometimes the shot remains in the viewfinder after i have turned the camera off !!

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 04/09/2011 - 18:20
Comment

Hi,

It looks like a malfunction. I have not encountered a similar problem in this Forum. Better bring it back to the store for warranty repair or exchange.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 05/09/2011 - 10:00
Comment

Bump

RAW  tutorial http://www.myfinepix.com/article/83/146826

Processing Photos tutorial http://www.myfinepix.com/article/83/147565

Be what you are, say what you feel, 'cos those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 05/09/2011 - 12:05
Comment

Hi,

i experienced a similar problem with mine when i started using the photobook (one of the menu options) feature... basically had 300+ photo's in various "books". each new photo taken would freeze the camera. i've since deleted the books and the camera hasn't locked up since.

might not be why yours is freezing, but it definitely had something to do with mine.

Ste

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 05/09/2011 - 19:51
Comment

Thankyou all for your comments. I would rather suspect it is a malfunction with the camera and will indeed take it back to a Fuji store for repair diagnosis or replacement. it is rather annoying because i attend quite a lot of motorsport meeting both 2 and 4 wheel varieties and a camera is always handy to take that 'moment'

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 06/09/2011 - 14:07
Comment

Hi Edward,

I bought an HS20 in the last month and had the same problem and mentioned it on another thread in this forum: http://www.myfinepix.com/forum/3/330235

Mine started freezing after 30 mins or so of continuous use and would gradually get worse if I kept rebooting it until it was nearly every shot. It then went back to normal after it had been off for a long time so I wonder if something was overheating inside and is OK again after it's cooled down.

It seems to starts happen when taking / processing / storing a shot as you described (especially panoramas which require a lot of processing power) but as it 'heats up' more it ended up getting stuck sometimes when just focussing or even when not touching the camera doing nothing (with the camera just switched on and sat on a tripod while I was positioning the subject).

I sent mine back for a refund as I'd had it less than 30 days but I suggest you send it in to Fuji for repair under warranty.

Send a note with a specific explanation of what the problem is and how to recreate it so they can identify the problem - it won't do any good if they switch it on and see it working fine for 5 mins!

Just out of interest, my suspicion is that it's linked to an earlier issue lots of people reported about an 'overheating warning' that kept popping up. Fuji released some new firmware (software upgrade) which 'fixed' the problem (or stopped the warning coming up anyway) so I just wonder if it was less of a fix and more of a 'paper over the cracks'..

Having said that, lots of people are getting on fine with the HS20 so it can't be affecting every camera.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 06/09/2011 - 14:15
Comment

FYI - here's the exact note I put in the box when I sent mine back

FAULT:

After 30-45 mins of fairly continuous use, the camera starts freezing / crashing. The screen image will freeze (or go black) and the camera will not respond to any buttons (incl the power button).

-          Happens most often when processing / storing a photo. Sometimes the picture is stored and sometimes it isn’t.

-          Sometimes freezes when in shooting mode (just focussing)

-          Panorama mode goes jerky and then the screen freezes (before it has finished the sweep)

Occasionally, the screen goes ‘corrupt’ while the image is still moving / changing (e.g. the bottom of the frame shows at the top of the lcd screen like an old TV with a ‘v-hold’ problem).

These problems happen whether using the internal memory or different SD cards (incl freshly formatted class 10 card). I have also tried new alkaline batteries and NiMH rechargeables (which work OK in other cameras) so it cannot be the fault of the memory or batteries.

In all these cases, the only way out of the problem is to remove the batteries and then power it back on. It will usually be OK then for a few more shots but if you keep re-booting the camera and using it, the crashing becomes more frequent until it is almost every shot.

Once the camera has been switched off for a long time, it seems to return to normal. I have tried using the camera on a few occasions for more than half an hour and this always happens – it seems as if something is overheating inside and then once it has ‘cooled down’, it’s OK again.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 22/12/2011 - 09:35
Comment

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 07/09/2011 - 10:28
Comment

Bump

Be what you are, say what you feel, 'cos those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 09/02/2012 - 22:33
Comment

I have exactly the same problem with my HS20. It has got to the point where it freezes after 2 shots even if it's been switched off for over a week. Did you resolve the issue in the end? Did Fuji fix the problem?

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 11/03/2012 - 17:00
Comment

I have a same problem, either. I sent mine for fixing but no solving. It turned back to me but the problem worse than before. This is really **** me off. It seems that I just wasted my money with this.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 12/03/2012 - 09:59
Comment

stbekmezci - I would suggest you return the camera again and get an exchange.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 27/03/2012 - 00:17
Comment

I got an exchange but the new one has the same problem, what an irresponsibility is this? It is a obvious fact that this product has a faulty. This pruduct should be improved, I am totally regret to buy this camera, it is turn my hobby into misery. I wanted my money back but seller does not respond me, i am going to throw this machine into rubbish bin. 

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 28/03/2012 - 05:19
Comment

re hs20exr; i use mine for an average of 3 hrs a day every day of the week and have no problem with it it must be something to do with the shipment your shop recieved ask for your money back.........ps i bought mine last july online from hong kong

cris...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 28/03/2012 - 12:25
Comment

I sent it back third time, today and claimed refund, as well. I just hope to  get rid of from this camera any more.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 13/08/2012 - 23:13
Comment

Hi all

By the looks of things its not just me with this fault! mine started going wrong after 2 months and had to open battery flap to turn it off, this seems to be a common fault with the HS20 and was all prepared to send it back as soon as l came back from holiday only to find out it ran out on the 9th october!!. if this fault is common as it seems then fuji should repair it free anyway! I have lost (and missed) many decent shots through this , if anyone knows a fix etc please by all means let me know! this was brought through amazon

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 14/08/2012 - 11:36
Comment

I have recently started having the same problem with my HS20EXR, unfortunately just after the guarantee had un out.  I contacted Fujifilm customer services to be told that this is not a known problem/fault.  I said I was surprised as so many of us have disussed this on thier MyFinepix Forum.   I was told that is not something they consider as a known fault as there are always a percentage of cameras that will develop problems and need repairing, which out of guarantee costs £95.00!!.  I believe Fujifilm is ignoring this regular fault as one that they should deal with even out of guarantee as it seems to be a design/maufacturing fault.

I intend to write to the Manager of their customer services about this and their not acceting this as a known fault which they would then have to repair/replace for free.  The more of us write in and complain the more likey we are to succeed.  Here are his details:  Mr Ben Barker, Customer Services Manager, Fuji Photo Film (UK) Ltd., Unit 13, St Martin's Way, St. Martin's Business Centre, Bedford, MK42 0LF.

By the way, the only solution for us has been to take the batteries out and restart - what a pain, having to do this often.

Ruhi H. Behi

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 14/08/2012 - 16:49
Comment

I live in the same small village as Ruhi, and he is the only other HS20EXR owner that I know, and have the exact same problem. 100% failure! Such a shame - it's a lovely camera otherwise.

It first happened in October last year, but seemed to clear itself, only to return a few days ago. There are many reports on various forums on the web of this problem. Fuji can not not simply dey hat it's a known issue.

If Fuji fail to acknowledge this as a consistent problem, perhaps a chat with Trading Standards people would be a good idea...

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 14/08/2012 - 19:13
Comment

I have a hs30exr and the problem I have is the lcd  tilting screen when it is in the horizontal position to the camera body cuts off the power and then I have to switch off the camera and then back on again. Does anyone else have this problem.

george shannon

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 15/08/2012 - 11:05
Comment

"have a hs30exr and the problem I have is the lcd  tilting screen when it is in the horizontal position to the camera body cuts off the power and then I have to switch off the camera and then back on again. Does anyone else have this problem"

I dont but make sure none of the leading edges of the LCD are in line with the eye sensor as it may just have switched over to that mode (causing the screen to blank out) This automatic switch over has caught me out once or twice lol

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 11/09/2012 - 20:59
Comment

Hi All

Here is an update to my post from 13/08, wrote to customer services manager where he told me to send it to bedford where they would look at it FOC. wrote a essay telling them what was the matter etc, arrived back today after 2 wks away and l quote;

"we regret that you had to send your product back to us for repair,however we are pleased to return it to you in full working order.

The following has be replaced   LENS

WTF???? Lens?? there wasnt nothing wrong with the lens! , all l can think of is they have put an updated ECU in it and not to admit liability with the fault they say "Lens".

Still ill give it a run out at the weekend and see if it goes wrong or not!!  Watch this space!

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 19/07/2013 - 03:29
Comment

HS-20 EXR has same problem some time before take a shot, some time after. Send to service agent, they told me problem on lens. Out of guarantee period. Price for lens and repair is same with HS-28 new with guarantee 1 year. So i cancelled repair it. Keep my camera PROBLEM.