You are not logged in

LoginRegister

Photo Features

Get involved!

Uploading RAW!!

I'd planned to go out yesterday and try shoooting in RAW for the first time for ages - since shortly after getting my S100FS almost a year ago I think - so, when I saw the red sky the evening before I decided to practice using it then.  As before for RAW I used an SD card instead of my usual XD (Only thing I've used it for).

I mainly wanted to use it to try it on my PSP X2 Ult - so I tried to upload it to PSP instead of my usual Picasa - and got the following message:

"There appears to be no camera, scanner, or other WIA device present. Please check with the manufacturer to see if the hardware you are trying to access provides a WIA device driver"

I managed to upload it with Picasa though and worked on it then in PSP.  So, thinking it was the card that was the problem, I used an XD card yesterday (and in my S5700 which I took mostly the same shots with just in case).  When I got home I tried to upload through PSP - and got the same message - so I tried "Raw Therapee" - and Fine Pix viewer - but couldn't find a way of uploading to either - so used Picasa again!!   Today I found out how to work on them (just triedone pic) in FP - after I'd checked the book I had with PSP - and another I bought from Amazon - neither of which were much help!!

I hope someone will be able to put me wise about this!!

(I will probably be out of action for a day or so next week when I get my Windows 7 and transfer to a newly built PC - I'm just hoping everything works on the new system - hopefully in the 64 bit version!!).

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 14/10/2009 - 18:29
Comment

PSP? as in games consul?

My Tutorials

My Blogs. 

&

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 14/10/2009 - 22:20
Comment

No Ray -Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate - but wasn't going to type that lot!!!

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 14/10/2009 - 23:56
Comment

I personally would recommend you use a card reader rather than plugging the camera in Dave. Basically Raw is a filetype, the same as jpeg is a filetype or tiff. All you have to do is copy it from the card onto your hard drive, and then work on it. Easiest way is have the card in a reader and then open it by navigating from My Computer to the card, copy it, then save it to your My Pictures or other folder you wish to save it in.

I think the error message is PSP saying you havent set it up in preferances to acquire from a device, in this case your camera. You will find if you set the preferance for importing that it will work. In PSP 9 it was the following, at the top left

FILE>>>IMPORT>>>From Scanner or Camera - then set this up

Hope this helps you

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 15/10/2009 - 08:37
Comment

If your pc does not have the slots inbuilt, try here for a great range of readers;

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=6&type=5060&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=   

They cost but a few pounds and are a good way of readig data from cards.

Bokeh

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 15/10/2009 - 12:31
Comment

Thanks ctxuk & G - I have a built-in card reader which I always use thanks!! That is except for (not lately though) when I used to click "Safely remove hardware" instead of just pulling the card out - which disabled the drives so had to put in from my camera!!

I've just tried going into PSP as suggested but all I got was the same message as above - even after inserting the card again which I hadn't deleted - so I tried the link to "Corel Media One" - the one pic I'd worked on already came up - and the file no's for the rest with just X's in boxes!!  (Will have to try my boooks again).

Thanks anyway - just realised - must try to see if Jpegs work when I take some more - and the other suggestion!!

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 15/10/2009 - 12:41
Comment

Dave, try this in XP go to Start>>>Right click My computer>>>Properties - this will open System Properties>>>click on button for Device Manager - at top of this choose Action>>>Scan For Hardware Changes.

That should then find your card reader once more so just put a card in

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/10/2009 - 19:09

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/10/2009 - 19:11
Comment

Just moved this to the top for Angie to see - couldn't think how to paste a link!!