You are not logged in

LoginRegister

Photo Features

Get involved!

Another gallery shot worth a look at

Found another overlooked picture which I think is well worth a look at. The composition here is spot on (well I think so !! ha ha). Its already down to page 9 and had no comments or views.

Its a shot of a peacock butterfly by "studio8B"

http://www.myfinepix.com/gallery/674956/450564

You might also want to check out Ian's "wanislon" grey wagtail

http://www.myfinepix.com/gallery/136911/450532

and another corker by "lindaphipps"........

http://www.myfinepix.com/gallery/1313/450425

1 person likes this.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 10:04
Comment

I don't think these pictures have been overlooked in any way, many of us rank and file members have looked at these and admired with envy at their great work, some probably question how some poorer pictures get on the scroller and deduce that it's who or what you know rather than what you do with your camera.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 15:32
Comment

OK David............My intentions are not to put pictures on the scroller and I do not accept your perception of my not being a "rank and file" member and drawing attention to friends pictures.

There are many shots (perhaps too many) loaded everyday and I and others seldom have much time to trawl through these. It is a great pity that shots of merit get lost without viewing or comments and is disheartening to the people who post them. After all, none of us (who are serious) are just posting pictures to be never seen or discussed. I have a little spare time at the moment and have viewed more of the gallery than usual........so I am merely pointing out what appeals to me and may to others. I also appreciate it when others point out shots that I have missed.

I can see your point of view and I respect it. All I can say is that it was not my intention. However as it could be misinterpreted as "vote rigging" by yourself and probably others then this post is the last of its type from me.

Thank you for your comment as I had not even thought that it could be a contentious matter

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 11:16
Comment

i have no problem with someone drawing attention to a great shot...there is so much rubbish in the gallery's the good ones just get bogged down with it all other stuff. i certainly dont have time to trawl through the gallery's. i wish we had areas specific for different photo's..ie, macro, landscapes..cats and dogs, weddings etc..

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 11:21
Comment

I too am glad that Phil pointed out this brilliant image, it deserved to be acknowledged. 

As for the images that are on the scroller at the moment, all are top notch in my opinion and all deserve to be there.

Viv

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 11:27
Comment

yep viv, the past few weeks the scroller has been looking well good.....and i missed the scroller when it went awol for a while..

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 15:15
Comment

Hello Phil

Nothing wrong with pointing out great shots.  In fact it is encouraged here:

http://www.myfinepix.com/forum/33537/450450

If you read Angie's words....This is just what she describes.  Perhaps your recommendations could go in there.

Cheers M8.  Anyway,  I think to point out what you think is a good shot,  is great on your part.  Just Pray others agree with ya!!! Lol 

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 15:59
Comment

Thanks Annie, Viv and Steve for your comments. I understand the comment that David made and realise that newer members may look upon this type of thread as being cliquey and a means of canvassing "likes" to get on the scroller. That allegation has been made before about the longer standing members so I do not want to create this misconception all over again.

I find the gallery very hard work and time consuming so saw this thread (and my previous one) as a legitimate and non controversial way to point out images that may be missed by a great number of members. The fact that I like them has no bearing on how others view them.......its all personal preference.

Not sure that Angie's thread is the way to go Steve........it seems that it is intended to upload one of your own images rather than link to others. Never been one to "toot my own horn".........my shots come and go and some are seen and others fall by the wayside.......such is life.

I'm not harping back to the days of 6OTB but you certainly got more feedback then than now..........such is progress but I feel that an increasing number of members images would be more at home on social networking sites than what started out as a mainly photographic site amongst members who were primarily keen amateur photographers with a desire to learn and improve.

I have always found that with any kind of art.........looking at other people's work is the best way to produce quality images...........ask about technique by all means but all the theoretical knowledge in the world does not make you a photographer.........developing an "eye" is the key to all art. Composition and balance within an image is of prime importance.............................................sorry, beginning to ramble on.

Anyway I won't be continuing these threads so I hope you all keep your eyes open for the good stuff

Cheers all 

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 16:13
Comment

A shame Phil, as a miserable old git, not in anyones clique, click or even clack i have never found your promotion of other peoples images objectionable. I sincerely hope the thoughts and comments of just one member will not stop you doing the promotions as infrequently as you do.

From memory if i am right those chosen by you arn't just friends, but images you have liked in the galleries when viewing them.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 16:36
Comment

I'm sorry if you thought I was implying that there was some sort of vote rigging going on, I didn't imply that and I don't believe it happens.My belief is that the whole site needs rebuilding, perhaps having different sections for the varying levels of photographic skills.It's been said that there is too much rubbish in the Gallery, I beg to differ this so called rubbish is usually a begginers early attempts and pride and joy and they often ask for help and advice on ways to improve their skills, but most expirenced members are usally too busy to offer this needed help and would prefer to "rubbish" their efforts.This is why I think re-structuring the site is the way to go,why not have a novices section with their own scroller or gallery and a dedicated Help section for begginers that is free of non photographic chat.You could even invite skilled members to become Helpers by giving them a Logo by their name so new comers could ask them questions via MFP, it's just an idea,sorry for the rant, I just get annoyed when people use this site to rubbish others efforts.David.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 29/03/2012 - 16:39
Comment

Phil pointing out your own shots is fine,but don't go pointing out someone else's, well that's just not on m8 as you have found out.

BTW I am now a member of your clique, as I have an opinion,and you mentioned one of my pictures.

Flickr Page

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 09:55
Comment

Hi David

Just a final word on this thread from me..........I appreciate your reply and take on board your mention of skill levels. All beginner shots have a certain naivety and I do not rubbish any genuine attempt at photography. Along with many others on this site I have taken an active role over the years in trying to offer help and critique on many newcomers work in the way that I was helped when I first started on the site some years back. I have never used the word "rubbish" on any photograph (other than my own) and never would. A lot of people may think my pictures are rubbish but would be a tiny bit offended if they said it out loud.

My point relating to "social networking sites" is simply that an increasing number of new members are posting pictures here and have no interest in any comments made by members who only wish to help them improve their skill level. They never respond or post in threads and it appears that they are just using the galleries as somewhere to host their pictures. I have commented on many of these shots in the past (as have other members) and there has been zero response. These are the snapshots that clog up the galleries and swamp the good pictures which are now missed by many. After all the best way to improve your own images is to look at and take inspiration from good quality work. I have no problems with "novice" pictures if that member is looking to improve. Help is always there in bucket loads and many members have taken full advantage of any advice offered.

The site has now included a Picture Feedback section which enables us to help individual members. That is a great improvement but maybe not used enough..........

I think if more people complete the "About Me" profile section and included their skill level and whether or not they would like advice it would be a great help to members who are prepared to offer their time and expertise on trying to help others along the way.

I do not believe this site needs rebuilding and am a member of other sites which are not so good. MyFinepix now has an active "ear" on the threads and many of things that members grumble about are considered and added as necessary. My only gripe with this site is the speed at which it operates. Sometimes it is very very slow.

So David, I fully take on board your comments and agree with much of the content. I maybe jumped to the conclusion that you thought this was a "votes for the boys" thread (which it is not). But, over the last 18 months or so, many accusations have been levelled by newer members about "cliques" and the like, and we have lost quite a number of long standing members because of this which is very much to the detriment of the site as a whole. I take nothing personal on this site and take no offence with many who disagree with me. Your comments made me think that maybe this type of thread is inappropriate. I do fully agree with you about beginners but think a dedicated "novice" section is not the way to go. It could very easily be ignored by many and become an isolated section of novices trying to help each other out. I also think the scroller should showcase the best images posted as a source of inspiration to those with less skill. Most people here get a great kick when one of their images appear as it is considered to be a bit of a pedestal to try to achieve. And many who started out as novices are now regularly shown on the scroller.

Hi Ian..........Never been a member of a clique before so got a nice warm feeling about this one......wonder if anyone else will join up. LOL

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 10:00
Comment

Mornin Phil

Being a working chap, I find it very very hard to keep up with the galleries.  I wonder if the 6OTB would be the better way to go.   I always found that manageable.  Just a thought.

Cheers Phil.  Like you,  I am my own worst critic too.

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 10:45
Comment

I am fairly new around here (joined December 2010), so what is/was 6OTB?

Mike

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/competition/entry/441152

http://www.myfinepix.com/gallery/346606

BLOG

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 11:04
Comment

Hi Mike..... 6 Of the best.  That's how big our galleries were allowed to go.  Members just kept changing the photos every week or so.  I found it very manageable too.  I now have 336 in my gallery!!!!  Try keeping your eye on that lot!!! Lol

Cheers.

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 11:07
Comment

Hi Steve

The 6OTB was certainly a good way to receive useful feedback and remember the number of useful comments that each member got on every shot. However, I think we have gone way beyond those days and it cannot go backwards. The member favourites galleries means that removing pictures has now to be carefully considered. I always try to leave a gallery shot active if someone has gone to the trouble of choosing it for their favourite gallery (seems a bit selfish to just delete it).

I do think, however, that a restriction of uploading 1 photo per day is more realistic and this would prevent people uploading numerous shots (especially a whole raft of similar images from the same shoot) at a go and burying other peoples uploads within minutes. There would still be a lot of pictures but I think the tendency would be to post the best of the day rather than all from your day out. I honestly think the gallery would be a better place and easier to negotiate than at present.

Anyway Steve I must not keep you away from work any longer. I've got a couple of days off so have a bit of time at the moment. Cheers mate

Hi Mike........When the site was first developed the members gallery was restricted to just 6 pictures (this due to limited storage capacity) for other members to comment upon. To load new photos you had to delete images beforehand and maintain the total of six. This was known as 6 of the best, or in other words 6OTB. It did restrict the number of entries any member could post and gave a better chance of your images being seen

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 11:23
Comment

Hi Phil

You are not keeping me away from work.  I was due to go to the dentist but he cancelled, illness!!  But you are keeping me away catching up with the paperwork!!! Lol  Please keep doing it, I hate it.   One a day, now that's a good idea.

Cheers M8

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 11:29
Comment

Hiya Steve..........there's nothing like paperwork........I'm usually buried in the stuff at work but relaxing in the sun today, beer at my side and laptop buzzing (or is it the bees ??).

Mustn't keep Ya............might just have a little snooze now

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 11:45
Comment

Jammy Sod!!!  Overcast and cool here on Anglesey today.  Heating on with a cup of hot soup by my side....Bugga

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 30/03/2012 - 12:07
Comment

Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ