You are not logged in

LoginRegister

Photo Features

Get involved!

It's Alpro for me....

A few days ago while walking the dog I saw some calves in a field.  Good photo subject I thought as I approached.  As I got near the fence I realised they were tiny calves, practically just born.  There were over twenty of them, standing and lying close together in the cold wind in a huge field, looking very sad.  None was eating the grass, as they were far too young to have been weaned.   I didn't take any photographs.  Next day, as I suspected, they were gone, presumably herded into a lorry for slaughter.

Not in my name any more.   I shall change to Alpro soya milk and Olivia spread next time I go shopping.  It's not natural for any species to drink milk after early childhood, let alone killing the babies of another species so as to take the milk.  In my eyes it's not morally right.

I'm not banging the drum by airing this;  I'm just trying to rid myself of the image of those tiny confused creatures looking at me, all huddled together, taken from their mothers.  Can't get them out of my head.

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 20:21
Comment

The key word here is "presumably" as, as you have said, you do not know what happened to them.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 20:28
Comment

I feel the same when I see lambs in a field - you know where they're headed next Sad I've heard that the life of a dairy cow is pretty grim and that they rarely last more than 3 years due to pain and exhaustion. I'm hoping organic is better.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 21:10
Comment

Do you wear leather shoes ?

Jim

'Bokeh' Competition entry:- http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/competition/entry/697372

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 21:34
Comment

There is nothing more natural than drinking cows milk or eating butter unless you consider putting your own health at risk by consuming entirely unnatural products and hydrogenated veg fat found in spreads. Soya milk on the other hand may not be so bad, but why? unless you are lactose intolerant. I doubt very much if the calves you saw were slaughtered, calves reared for veal would by in a barn being intensively fed.

My Gallery : http://www.myfinepix.com/gallery/143

Competition Entry: 

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 21:42
Comment

It is a fact that male calves are slaughtered.  There is no point in keeping them, they will not go on to produce any milk for the dairy industry.

Some farmers are now rearing them for veal, but not force feeding them as was once the case.  The meat produced is called, 'rose veal' and is far more pink, hence the name.  Countries such as France still produce white veal!

I cannot think of any reason for them to stand alone in a field, away from their mothers.  The were waiting for transport.

Jen xx

I wish I was a Glow Worm, a Glow Worm's never glum, 'cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/competition/entry/688492

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 22:29
Comment

Oh Jacquie - listen to The Archers and you would know all about the problems of calves. They wouldn't be slaughtered if we would eat veal, but we won't and the costs of keeping them are too great. Heartbreaking - but eat veal and then we could save them.

RAW  tutorial http://www.myfinepix.com/article/83/146826

Processing Photos tutorial http://www.myfinepix.com/article/83/147565

Be what you are, say what you feel, 'cos those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 22:48
Comment

That was my conclusion, Jen.  They were gone next day.  I thought they would be.  I don't think they were being "grown on". They were tiny new-borns and not fareing well as they were too young to eat anything.

Jim:  I choose synthetic shoes most of the time.  They're my first choice when looking.  Don't always stick to it, but try.

Griffin:  There's nothing natural about adults still drinking mother's milk, still less so if it's the mother's milk of another species.    We've just become accustomed to doing it.   As I say - not banging the drum, just making choices I'm more comfortable with. 

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 23:09
Comment

We have eye teeth - they are not there for eating vegetation! The French are actually fairly good about their veal - they like it to taste of something - the Dutch and Danish are more into the white veal, which tastes of nothing. I hope all of you veal-avoiders only eat mutton, not lamb? The other thought is that none of those calves would have been there at all, if it wasn't for farming. That's what farming is - think of ants and aphids, if you think humans are horrible!

George

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 17/04/2012 - 23:30
Comment

You want to rid your self of the image, yet you post it here, get notified of comments and then reply to them? Makes lots of sense.

I have always felt that unless people are willing to become vegan, then there really is no reason to protest about the food industry, because you are protesting about your own actions/lifestyle.

It is like someone campaigning against drug trials on animals, and then goes and buys flu medicine for their cold.

Dean...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 08:02
Comment

The rearing of veal is nothing like eating lamb George.  Well not in Wales anyway. 

Look around any countryside this time of year and you will see lambs frolicking around, jumping on the spot and generally enjoying life.  For months they will enjoy life then they are slaughtered for their meat. 

Not so bull calves, they are, if they are very lucky, reared in the fresh air for rose veal', not so lucky, slaughted immediately after birth, or very unlucky taken to the continent, where they are placed in veal crates and force fed to produce white meat.  I know you love France George, but you are wrong if you think the French are ethical about their veal.

I eat lamb, I eat 'rose veal' and I wear leather shoes.  Maybe I am not coming from the same place as Jacquie, but these are facts. 

Jen xx

I wish I was a Glow Worm, a Glow Worm's never glum, 'cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 09:58
Comment

Don't worry Jacquie, they probably wool have soya coming. Very camera-shy, sheep.

This comment is intended for amusement, only. (Any possible offence caused is entirely coincidental / unintentional.)

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 10:12
Comment

To me, it isn't about whether you consume meat products or about using by-products, it's about the process  being humane. Farming can be a callous industry, google Cadbury and bull calves. I have no doubt what became of those that Jacquie saw.  

Dean, it is different from using pharmaceuticals or cosmetics in as much as farming does have an option to be humane and animals are a natural part of the industry.  Animal trials are often misleading (thalidomide being the classic example) and do not  show up the plethora of side effects that arise in clinical trials and are by there nature not humane in many cases.  Sadly, when it comes to drugs, many do not have a choice unless they wish their condition to deteriorate or even die.  With meat, there is a choice.  Animal trials are about finding things like the LD50, I.e. the lethal dose.  It is possible that the pharmaceutical industry could operate without animals and that should be there aim, in my opinion.

Regards,

Alan J 

MyFlickrFotos

BOKEH

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 11:02
Comment

I don't know where you get your information about French veal from, Jen - but I can categorically state that French veal as it appears on your plate is both darker and more flavoursome than the stuff we get in Scotland. French meat is not cheap, and French farmers are very pragmatic - if they can get a better price for more mature veal, that's what they will raise! Veal in a French butcher's shop also looks quite dark, and always has done - maybe "rose veal" is what it is - but it's nothing new - or at least in the southern half of France it isn't!

George

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 11:07
Comment

Wonders where the container loads of calves at the docks are going then?

Perhaps the Parisiennes are eating them, once fattened of course.

Wonder if that was what the bible and 'the fatted calf' is all about?

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 11:15
Comment

Hi Jen, probably going tae Italy, where "white" veal is preferred. Ah eat veal regularly.

Cool

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 11:16
Comment

I eat veal too, I have had white and rose veal. 

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:02
Comment

I know the subjects are different, but the hypocritical mind set is the same. I feel it does not matter how the animal is killed, it is still killed so people can enjoy meat dishes. Just like it does not matter how an animal is tested on, or what drug is being produced, the animal still suffers/dies for human benefit. 

Dean...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:06
Comment

The point Dean, is not how it was killed, but how it lived.

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:17
Comment

My point, was that it was killed full stop and also that unless you are willing to become vegan, then it is pointless to have a hypocritical rant about the food industry, and then go eat steak and kidney pie etc.

P.S I am not vegan, I love meat and really like fish (sushi etc)  

Dean...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:27
Comment

Nobody is having a rant.  Just pointing out the facts of white veal.  It's then up to the individual as to the consumption of white veal or not.

I will eat most things that are put on a plate in front of me.

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:40
Comment

Wonders where the container loads of calves at the docks are going then?

Holland, perhaps (where they do put them in "crates"), or Italy, as TAo2 suggests -where they do like insipid white veal. We don't eat much veal in Britain, just because it is so bland and tasteless - but in France (even Paris, if you can afford to eat there!), you would think it was a different meat. The French are certainly not very animal conscious when it comes to what they eat - I don't really care for paté made from thrushes or larks, and the rabbits you see in hutches in back gardens are not pets - they're dinner!

George

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:42
Comment

The point is as Jen says, how they live and inevitably, since meat production isn't going to go away, how they die. I agree it might seem hypocritical to consume meat products but 'rant' about the conditions they are farmed under but that's better than not 'ranting' and not supporting better conditions and living with the status quo. Undoubtedly conditions in some areas of meat production have improved because people, including farmers have taken a more ethical stance.

It's difficult to lead life without being hypocritical about things.  In the past, photography used gelatin in film.  I wonder if any vegans were photographers?

Regards,

Alan J 

MyFlickrFotos

BOKEH

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 12:54
Comment

George, France along with Italy and Holland has the largest Veal consumption.  I bet it's not all pink and lovely.

Veal crates are now outlawed but I would be willing to stake my life that not all french farmers got rid of them.

What I would like to know is, why do male calves not produce good beef?  Why not grow it and then eat it?

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 13:07
Comment

It's true, it just makes me giggle and I obviously felt the need to comment Wink

This is an amusing website: www.vegitariansareevil.com full of stories about hypocrites.

P.S Apparently males calves are sent to Italy and Spain to be raised as veal. Some are also made into cheap leather. 

Dean...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 13:07
Comment

I haven't eaten meat for 28 years. My daughters and I made the decision together.  I now have three very healthy grandsons who have never eaten meat, and because thought has gone into their diet they are probably healthier than most.  One of my daughters is in fact a fitness instructor.   Happily I'm also hale and hearty.

I mention this as I don't think "hypocrite" applies in my case, except by my consumption of milk.  I found I couldn't nurture one four-legged friend whilst killing and eating others.   Humans are unique in having the ability to reason and make choices.  So it's Alpro for me.   If that makes me a vegan, with the crank tag that unfortunately carries, can I just say I'm no nuttier than the rest of us on this site.  Each to their own.

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 13:11
Comment

Good for you Smile Just need to re think posting threads when you are trying to forget about something ;) 

Dean...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 13:20
Comment

Dean:  We often share our thoughts on this friendly site, sometimes airing our small problems helps.    Talking about what I'd been upset to see, did help me in this case.

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 13:34
Comment

Alpro makes luvvverly porridge!

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 13:38
Comment

Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, 'I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!'? -Calvin, from Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes"

Jen xx

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 18/04/2012 - 16:52
Comment

You learn something new every day Jen,I'd never heard of "Calvin and Hobbes" I had to google them Smile

Flickr Page