You are not logged in

LoginRegister

Photo Features

Get involved!

Yesterday ended on a high note

I moved house in February of this year. I am happy with my new location but was very sorry to leave behind the abundance of wild birds which visited my last garden as it backed onto a small wood. We had many different varieties, but our favourite was the breeding pair of woodpeckers which nested in a tree very close by and raised young two years on the trot. Never achieved any really good pictures as the feeders were a very long way away and they were very timid if you tried to get close.

My new garden is very nice, but the birds I have seen so far are bluetits, blackbirds and robins...........with the obvious intrusion of wood pigeons and magpies.

So imagine my delight last night when this lady arrived..........

So very very pleased.......................Grabbed my S100fs (as it was lying around) and grabbed these through the kitchen window.

Hope this will become a regular visitor and that I can get some better pictures.

Until them I will leave you as a very happy chappie.........

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 09:46
Comment

How lovely.  We face similar challenges ahead Phil.  How to abandon a large garden, full of nesting birds and move to a modern house.  Pragmatism springs to mind, but it's going to be difficult.

I hope this is the first visitor and many, many more will follow.  Good luck to you.

Jen xx

I wish I was a Glow Worm, a Glow Worm's never glum, 'cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/competition/entry/688492

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 09:48
Comment

That's one of the advantages of giving The Post Office a "Forwarding Address" ! Laughing out loud

If you've got Woodpeckers already  then no doubt the variety will soon be zooming in to your feeders when the word gets round 

good luck with the new abode and............enjoy

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 10:17
Comment

We'll take this as a good omen Phil.  I hope you are happy in your new home as the birds seem to be in your garden.  Keep them feeders topped up and who knows what new varieties will pop round for a meal.

Cheers M8  (PS: Clean windows too!!!!)

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 10:26
Comment

Hi Jen........we are working in the reverse situation to you.........We left a modern house with a large garden and moved to a 90 year old bungalow which needs much much work. Still, the garden is pretty big and beautifully laid out. Shame about the bungalow itself.......................Lot's of work and little time for photography

Steve you are right.........no time to clean off all the plastering mess from the windows........but they will be kept sparkly clean from now on

Stuart your humour creases me up.........keep it up mate

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 10:26
Comment

She's a little poser. I hope she hangs around

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 10:34
Comment

Now that's a proper bird to get in your garden,the male won't be far away too,but they tend to be a bit more cautious than the female,get a peanut feeder put closer to the bungalow Smile

Flickr Page

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 10:46
Comment

Brilliant captures, she obviously followed you!!

Viv

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 11:15
Comment

Wonderful photos Phil ~ colourful garden too. All best in your new home.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 11:18
Comment

Hi there

Yes, I know what you mean about moving on, I moved late last year to a bungalow in a fishing village in Essex and although an array of birds of many specious I can NOT settle down and have no problems with it being a bungalow having left a house in Sussex overlooking the South Downs and do not feel settled here and am now packing to go back home to the area and wild life I grew up with. 

I took this picture early this morning but although nice to see it just doesant compte with what I left behind.

Good luck to you.  John.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 17:31
Comment

I agree with Ian about the peanut feeder, if only to give them a bit of variety in their diet.....but keep putting the suet out and they'll keep coming back...they love it!

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 18:50
Comment

Lucky you !  The most exotic thing we get are Goldfinches - only because Iput out a niger seed feeder for them.  Otherwise it is the usual stuff everyone else gets.

Regards,  Mike
Gallery
Flickr

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 03/05/2012 - 19:10
Comment

Good luck Phil.

Everything comes to those who wait.

Monty.